The Petzl Charlet Ergo is the ultimate ice axe for the most difficult dry tooling pitches and the most unlikely ice columns - although it may be overkill for a day out in Green Gully the Ergo is a superb tool for anybody looking to get maximum performance out of their axes on M and D graded routes, irrespective of grade.
The ultra-curved shaft offers exceptional clearance under the head and allows a wider repertoire of movement. The adjustable ergonomic handle allows multiple grip positions and limits the risk of pick shift when switching hands. The strong curve of the handle creates an ideal angle for prolonged hanging and significantly increases power when pulling (imagine pulling on rings rather than vertical bars).
Ergonomic molded handle offers multiple grip options. The length of the handle may be adjusted to fit the size of the hand and glove.
Specific shape of the shaft and the handle limits the risk of pick shift when switching hands
Fully modular head for adapting the ice axe to the activity and context:
- Equipped with MASSELOTTES pick weights, the ERGO ensures precise, efficient purchase in the ice.
- Without the MASSELOTTES pick weights, the ERGO becomes considerably lighter for dry tooling.
- Equipped with a hammer or adze (not supplied), the Ergo becomes suitable for mountaineering use.
- Interchangeable DRY pick is tapered at the tip (3 mm) for easy penetration, even in cold ice. The thickness of the pick (4 mm) makes it stronger when slotted and torqued. The hooking teeth, located on the bottom and top (for steinpulling) stabilize the ice axe.
- GRIPTAPE on the upper handle provides better grip and thermal insulation.
- Serrated blade under the GRIPREST for better hold coming out of steep sections in hard snow or ice.
- Third adjustable handle with TRIGREST hand rest for climbing even higher.
MASSELOTTES pick weights
RIGREST and GRIPREST