The Petzl Tibloc is one of the most super light and compact ascenders on the market, great for use in an emergency.
Perfect for alpine use, rope ascents, hauling systems or friction knot replacement in self-rescue situations, the Tibloc has an automatic system that presses the carabiner against the rope to start the braking action on the rope.
Whilst the teeth may look quite aggressive and may pick at the sheath, the core of the rope will be protected and not squashed unlike mechanical ascenders. It's probably not going to be an automatic replacement for your prussik loops as it's not really designed for abseil backups, but it is much more efficient for ascending, so should be worth some consideration even if only to carry one for emergencies.
- Can be used as a rope ascender or a progress capture device in a hauling system
- Automatic system presses the carabiner against the rope to start the braking action on the rope in any position
- Ultra-light (35 g) and very compact: the ascender can be carried permanently on the harness or in a pack
- Marking on the ascender is on side that is visible when installed
- Stainless steel cam with angled teeth and self-cleaning slot securely grips the rope, even in muddy or icy conditions
- Manufacturer: Petzl
- Rope Compatibility: 8 to 11mm
- Weight: 35g
- Certification: CE / UIAA