The Yorkshire Gritstone Volume 2 guidebook is an inspirational and definitive rock climbing guide to the routes and bouldering of the south-western sector of Yorkshire Gritstone. Produced by the Yorkshire Mountaineering Club and compiled by a vast team of committed, volunteer climbers who know the area like the back of their hand.
This guidebook builds on the well-received attributes of the first volume (which covered the north-eastern sector of Yorkshire Gritstone). It features: over 75 Yorkshire Gritstone crags like you've never seen them before, with areas never previously fully documented; over 2100 routes from Moderate to E9; 2900 boulder problems from Font 1 to Font 8b; over 180 full-colour action photographs; hundreds of full-colour topos; over 30 illustrated access maps and stunning aerial photographs; 6 bouldering circuits featuring classics, unsung gems and unusual challenges; exclusive profiles of the climbers who shaped the Yorkshire Grit scene, from Ron Fawcett and Jerry Peel to John Dunne and Jordan Buys; full first ascent details, climbing history and graded lists.
The world-renowned Yorkshire Gritstone crags are presented in all their glory in this volume but the local experts that have shaped this guidebook have also ensured the treasures of the more obscure venues are delightfully revealed for the benefit of all. Volume 2: Ilkley to Widdop, is the essential companion for those looking to climb gritstone in this part of Yorkshire - from those who love to climb and boulder in the county through to those making their first forays into the vertical world and/or venturing to this beautiful climbing area for the first time.
Climbing areas covered by this guidebook:
- Chapter 1 - Ilkley: Cow & Calf Rocks, Rocky Valley, Windgate Nick, Swastika Stones.
- Chapter 2 - Barden Moor: Crookrise, Rylstone, Eastby, Deer Gallows, Rolling Gate, Fairies Chest, Embsay, Halton Heights, Shelter Cliff, Crookstones.
- Chapter 3 - Widdop & the Calderdale Crags: Widdop, Heptonstall, Gorple, Scout, Clattering Stones, Dovestones, Scout Hut, Blake Dean, Mytholm, Horsehold Scout, Hawk Stones, Bridestones, Robin Hood Rocks, Ogden Clough.
- Chapter 4 - Earl Crag & Surrounding Area: Earl Crag, Hawkcliffe, The Hitching Stone, Farnhill Quarry, White Crag.
- Chapter 5 - Shipley Glen & Baildon Bank: Shipley Glen, Baildon Bank, Gilstead, Eldwick.
- Chapter 6 - Woodhouse Scar & Kirklees Crags: Woodhouse Scar, West Vale, Holmfirth Edge, Honley Quarry, Buckstones Edge, Darby Delph.
- Chapter 7: Pen-y-ghent, Sharphaw. Minor climbing venues within each area are also described.
- Author: Yorkshire Mountaineering Club
- Country: England
- ISBN10: 0951526766
- ISBN13: 9780951526767
- Language: English
- Pages: 752
- Page Size: 130 x 185 mm
- Published Date: November 2014
- Publisher: Yorkshire Mountaineering Club
- Region: England - Yorkshire
- Manufacturer: YMC